A gateway tea company. For those in the USA things like soda and sugary drinks unfortunately come to mind first most of the time. In order to break the habit and this cycle we need to introduce drinks that are sweet but good for you. Though I personally do not like sugar in my tea I started off with gateway tea companies like this one which cater to your more casual tea drinkers. I could not reach anyone at the company to get them to fill out the questions. Two cousins, David and Herschel, started the company but now it is a huge company run by Herschel Segal (executive chairman), Frank Zitella (COO/CFO), and Sarah Segal (CEO/CBO). Eventually, I would love to hear from David and the rest about their adventures with the company and anything personal they could add to this post.
Location(s) Headquarters: Mount Royal, Quebec, Canada
- “Through hundreds of beautiful blends, innovative teaware designed in-house and inclusive how-to tea education, we continue to make tea fun and accessible to all.”
Most popular company tea(s)?
Does the company name have a meaning?
- The answer is pretty straightforward considering the name of one of the founders was David. But it does make me wonder why they decided on just David and not David and Herschel.
Do you participate in any charities?
- They do support many and you can read more here.
What is your and/or your co-workers’ favorite tea?
- Will wait for them to answer.
What are your thoughts on transparency in the tea industry?
- “Our emphasis on conscious choices sets us apart and keeps us growing—from plastic-free & biodegradable sachets to recyclable packaging, we’re not stopping there. Because tea is a natural product and intrinsically compostable, it inspires us to do more! This year, we’re committed to transitioning our company to a fully recyclable and compostable offering. These choices are centred around what we call positivitea—where we keep what’s right for both our local communities and our global partners top of mind, always.
- As always, we make sure our tea is ETHICAL & SUSTAINABLE
- Can tea be fair? Yes! Our decision-making is fuelled by our goal to positively impact the tea industry throughout our supply chain. From tea workers to farmers and their families, we want everyone involved to benefit from safe, fair and equal working conditions. We consciously choose partners to ensure our ingredients check all the flavour boxes and our commitment to ethical sourcing. While certification isn’t automatic for each garden—it’s a long process with many rigorous steps—the gardens we source from use eco-friendly farming and fair labour practices. Through collaborations with the Ethical Tea Partnership and Fair Trade CertifiedTM, we’re able to protect and care for our tea community and the environments in which our tea is produced.”
What role does tea play in our lives?
- “Tea brings people together from all walks of life—different backgrounds, tastes and experiences, we welcome and appreciate everyone. From where we operate to where we source, we promise to continue prioritizing diversity & inclusion, access to opportunity & equal representation, and mental & physical health. We use the connections we make for positive change in our communities and around the world.”
TeaTiff Picks: Wild Grown Rooibos. Do not underestimate the deliciousness of rooibos. Not only is it wonderful on its own but it also makes a fantastic latte.
Sip some tea & leave a comment
Ordering? Be sure to tell them TeaTiff sent you!
If you already love them, tell us what you love below!