When the pandemic hit in 2020 it left many businesses wondering and worrying. After only a few weeks of being open Cup of Communitea had to close their business doors. Through the year many learned that online orders would be become their main source of income and Ms. Duquette took it a step further, doing FB Live videos, and she’s got a knack for it. But what also helped was her community. Once you start drinking tea you become part of a family; a communitea!
Location(s) Headquarters : 5416 Main Street, Williamsville, NY 14221
- Loose leaf tea from around the world and the education to go with it.
Most popular company tea(s)?
- Our most popular teas are any of our Hot Cinnamon, Champagne Raspberry White, Sencha, Ruby Chai, Strawberry Bliss Herb, & Blackberry Sage Oolong.
Does the company name have a meaning?
- Yes! We are blending the world of tea and non-profit community engagement together which creates our Communitea. I, Justine, have a full-time career in the non-profit sector and I carry that passion with me through everything I do. With this business, we are a Communitea of passionate tea drinkers that help support the community one cup at a time. We have monthly community partners that we raise money for and try to connect with community groups as much as we can.
Do you participate in any charities?
- We work with different organizations each month and so far they have varied from art centers to autism music programs, dog rescues, homeless advocacy, refugee/immigrant youth and many more. Communitea Partner Program.
What is your (or any of your other co-workers’) favorite tea?
- Blackberry Sage Oolong is my favorite because it is great hot and cold and has this perfect balance of flavors. The oolong is a beautiful tea base with those hints of fruit and herbaceous notes of sage. None of the flavors overtake the others and they all create a delicious cup of refreshingly light tea.
What are your thoughts on transparency in the tea industry?
- It is so important. We believe in total transparency so we let our customers know every ingredient, every flavoring, all dietary needs etc. We can tell you what teas are kosher and vegan, if something has dairy or nuts, and if they are ETP or FTC. We work very hard to know where the tea comes from, what is in it, and how it is made so that we can be upfront about everything.
What role does tea play in our lives?
- Tea is peace; it’s a break in the day to pause and reflect as our tea steeps to perfection. Pauses in our day call forth calm; tea can be an integral and beautiful component of this calming self care. Taking time, even 5 minutes, to scoop, heat, steep, and sip our cup can be the five minutes we need to have self-care, reflect, and sometimes reset our day.
Anything else you’d like to add?
- We are excited about the tea community and all of it’s growth and what is to come. The versatility of tea is what makes it so beautiful. It can be a delicious cup that cools us or heats us, it can be a healthy cup that mends us, or it can be a social cup to bring us together. Whatever you need tea has and the more people learn about it the better the tea communitea becomes.
TeaTiff Picks: Coconut Truffle. Those who know me personally know that I am a purist. I will choose a pure tea over a flavored/blended tea. But when you’ve got a sweet tooth and a love for coconut it’s hard to pass up a blend like this that doesn’t use artificial flavors.
Sip some tea & leave a comment
If you already love them, tell us what you love below!