Did you know that tea is grown in the USA? It’s a fairly new concept compared with other tea-growing regions (like China) and has its own unique challenges. However, the scientific minds of Jason and Timothy went to great lengths to construct their tea farm and make it into one of the top-selling farms (in my humble opinion) in the US. After reading the interview below be sure to check out their tea school on Teachable.
Location(s) Headquarters: Brookhaven, Mississippi, USA
- Creating high-end specialty teas using science and technology while still preserving the artistry of handmade teas from traditional tea-growing regions. Online education and immersive tourism is key to educating the market on what it takes to create a new tea in a high labor market environment.
Most popular company tea(s)?
- Black Magnolia (Black) and Mississippi Sunshine (Yellow) are the two most popular.
Does the company name have a meaning?
- We actually had a social media poll to create our name. Ha! We had some inadvertent trademark issues early on in existence and we changed our name after 18 months of being in existence. We polled the audience and came up with 4 names and then did a Survey Monkey poll to decide on the final name.
Do you participate in any charities?
- Not yet
What is your (or any of your other co-workers’) favorite tea?
- We drink Black Magnolia the most since we are iced tea drinkers. However, Timmy is a big fan of our oolongs.
What are your thoughts on transparency in the tea industry?
- It is the basis of our business model and our decision to grow in the US. We also invite people to the farm in addition to ample social media posts and educational opportunities. We try to be as transparent as possible.
What role does tea play in our lives?
- For us as Southerners, we enjoy iced tea. As farmers, it provides us with daily challenges.
TeaTiff Picks: Mississippi Sunshine. Yellow tea. Of all the styles of tea you can produce this one is the most difficult. Sure every tea is difficult in its own way but the extra step to produce this one is more like a giant leap. Kudos to GM Tea Company for taking this style on. If you have tried this or any of their other teas comment below and let me know what you think.
Sip some tea & leave a comment
Ordering? Be sure to tell them TeaTiff sent you!
If you already love them, tell us what you love below!