Metal music is a genre that is vastly underappreciated. While many are turned off from the “screaming”, they are missing out on some seriously amazing beats. But then we take some amazing music and mix it with tea? Heck yes!! Also, if you are a dad or like puns or both you’ll love the tea names. Now steep some tea and gallop into this post with me. Just don’t head bang while trying to drink your cuppa.
- Central NJ – Online/Local Events Only (But searching for the perfect forever home for our teas)
Year Created: 2016
- BrutaliTeas was created to combine our love of tea and puns with something else that has always meant a lot to us over the years… metal/rock music, and horror movies! We wanted to create something that ourselves and our customers could really connect with on a different level. There are more than enough tea brands out there, but how many of those have something about them that someone can really relate to on a more personal level? We’re here to bring unique and quality hand-crafted loose leaf tea blends, and a good laugh during your tea time. And who knows, maybe some of our blends will inspire you to get out some of those old cd’s, records, or VHS tapes that you haven’t played in awhile!
Most popular company tea(s)?
- I’d say our top three are Faith No S’mores (Chocolate Black Tea with Mini Marshmallows & Graham Cracker Pieces), Black Tea No.1 (Vanilla Black Tea, Toasted Mate, Chocolate Honeybush & Espresso Coffee Beans), and Bohemian Raspberry (Raspberry Apple Green Tea). Fun fact: Our Bohemian Raspberry was actually used in a craft beer for Broken Goblet Brewing in Bensalem, PA!
Does the company name have a meaning?
- Long story short BrutaliTeas may have never come to be if it wasn’t for a dear friend of ours. He knew we were trying to create a brand that really had meaning to us and one day he asked, “Why don’t you guys make some metal sounding teas?! Some teas with brutal names?!” (followed by him and Adam coming up with some ridiculously punny names amongst themselves for laughs). We laughed it off at first and almost wrote off the idea completely. Then one day, it all made sense to both of us. We had to do this. We both love metal. I love blending teas. Adam has a love for puns and bad “dad jokes”. It couldn’t be a more perfect combination! We told ourselves if we truly loved this idea and product, then there had to be others out there that would feel the same. We felt BrutaliTeas was the appropriate name to pick based off of the conversation that started it all :o)
Do you participate in any charities?
- Yes! We LOVE fundraising! There are actually a couple of ways in which we do fundraising to donate to charitable causes throughout the year.
- We have a blend called the Detoxic Avenger, that we created in memory of our pug Griffin who we lost to lymphoma. Throughout the year, we donate 40% of the sales made from this particular tea to local area animal rescues or to a site called Paws 4 a Cure, which helps pet owners in need of financial assistance for unexpected veterinary costs due to major illness. We also do advent calendars as part of our holiday season fundraiser. We take $5 from the sale of each advent calendar and split where the funds are donated. We donate food supplies to The Volunteer Auxiliary for Animal Shelters (a rescue we volunteer with), and then we also pick an organization to help people in need. So far we have donated to OneSimpleWish.org (which primarily grants wishes to children in foster care) and Oceans of Love (which helps grant Christmas wishes for local families affected by cancer). While we are a small company, we truly believe in giving back and helping others.
What is your (or any of your other co-workers’) favorite tea?
- Courtney’s favorite – Assam a Go-Go (I have it every morning), and Adam’s favorite is My Bloody Clementine. We have a new blend that is becoming a new favorite as well, Violet Cremes. It’s a milk oolong with violet flowers infused with violet extract. It’s delicious!
What are your thoughts on transparency in the tea industry?
- As a business owner and a consumer, I would love to see the day where there is true transparency within the tea industry (and the food industry as a whole for that matter) so we can all make better and more educated decisions regarding who we choose to give our business to and what we put into our bodies.
What role does tea play in our lives?
- Tea is really special in that it has a way of providing us all with a different experience each time we have it. It becomes a daily part of our lives and it provides comfort to us in many different ways when we need it. The following quote by William Ewart Gladstone really says it all about tea:
“If you are cold, tea will warm you;
if you are too heated, it will cool you;
If you are depressed, it will cheer you;
If you are excited, it will calm you.”
– William Ewart Gladstone
TeaTiff Picks: Waking the Lavender. I love a good Earl Grey. But I also love a unique Earl Grey. How many do you know contain blueberries? A great mix of flavors!
Sip some tea & leave a comment
If you already love them, tell us what you love below!