Halló. Grab your tebolli, pour some hot water on your teblöð, and then come join me while we explore our first Icelandic tea company! Iceland is a beautiful country. Home to the famous Blue Lagoon and Norse Mythology. It’s two biggest exports are aluminum and fish. While camellia sinensis can’t grow in Iceland it can be expertly mixed with local herbals to create amazing blends!
Location(s) Headquarters: Kópavogur ICELAND; USA Distribution = Denver, Colorado
Company Focus: OUR MISSION IS TO BRING ICELANDIC TEA BLENDS TO THE WORLD.
Most popular company tea(s)? SHOP
- BIRKI (green tea + birch leaves)
- BLODBERG (green tea + wild thyme)
- FJALLAGRAS (black tea + Icelandic moss)
Does the company name have a meaning?
- TEKO means “tea from Kópavogur”
Do you participate in any charities?
- The founder of Teko and USA distributor support women-founded and women-owned businesses.
What is your (or any of your other co-workers’) favorite tea?
- Depends on my mood. Today? MJADJURT: MEADOWSWEET & GREEN TEA
What are your thoughts on transparency in the tea industry?
- Transparency is important in all industries.
What role does tea play in our lives?
- Tea provides for a calm, peaceful and meditative space to be shared alone or with community. Tea links the world together.
TeaTiff Picks: FJALLAGRAS. Can’t say that moss is the first thing to cross my mind as something I want to steep in water and drink but considering it’s history and use within Icelandic society it is definitely something I want to try!