Every year our elementary school does a special meal for the teachers but 2020, as it did with many things, changed that. Instead we made them bags. They asked for teabags but I didn’t want to get them just anything, so I reached out and one of the companies I found was this one. Besides being an awesome company that supports our teachers they also have an inspiring background story. Terry (one of the owners) had a dream. Others told him it wasn’t a good idea but he did it anyway. With the help of a friend, David Edwards from the New Mexico Tea Company, they created Ohio Tea Co. It just goes to show that no matter what others think you have to go for your dreams!
- Ohio Tea Company is a small shop located in Canton, Ohio owned and operated by Terry Gabet and Kurt Gibbins.
- We pride ourselves on customer service and providing all customers with the greatest tea experience by sharing our knowledge, expertise and overall love for tea. One of our favorite parts of owning a tea shop is carrying a huge variety of quality teas, we carry over 400 different teas, herbs, and tisanes. We take our time picking out tea to carry in our shop by getting a ton of samples and then picking out only the best quality and best tasting tea to carry in our shop.
Most popular company tea(s)?
- Our most popular tea is our Hot Cinnamon Spice tea that tastes like a piece of cinnamon candy but has no sugar!
Does the company name have a meaning?
- People in Ohio love to support small businesses and it shows that we are a local company.
Do you participate in any charities?
- We donate to local tea baskets to local fundraisers such as churches, schools, and other local groups.
What is your (or any of your other co-workers’) favorite tea?
- Terry’s loves strong Indian teas and his go-to is Assam Broken Leaf. Kurt loves a smooth, rich Chinese black tea and his go to is Golden Monkey. Kurt also loves the Taiwanese GABA and Ali Shan oolongs.
What are your thoughts on transparency in the tea industry?
- We think that transparency is great for the tea industry. Knowing as much information as possible such as where it was grown, at what elevation, organic, naturally farmed etc allows for us (as consumers and a tea business) to be able to get the best quality teas and really know what we are getting.
What role does tea play in our lives?
- Tea (tisanes and herbs included) can play a different role in each individuals life and at the same time play different roles for that same individual. For example, tea can be a great pick-me-up in the morning and then help someone relax at night. We believe that there is a tea for every moment in time and can help two people bond, sooth someone under stress or just quench your thirst!
TeaTiff Picks: Scottish Breakfast. A perfect blend of CTC black teas to begin ones day. The Assam brings in a robust face punch while the Anhui provides a smooth balance. Many CTC teas are used in tea bags and thus looked down on in the loose leaf community but I am starting to find a new love for them as a loose tea.
Sip some tea & leave a comment
Ordering? Be sure to tell them TeaTiff sent you!
If you already love them, tell us what you love below!